LA JUNTA — The fourth annual Rattler Run at Otero Junior College was held on Saturday, September 27, with 57 participants who took part in two different events: a 10-mile race and a 5K fun run/walk “Splash Dash.” Awards were given in the 10-mile race for the male and female overall winners and to first place male and female winners in each age category.
- Overall winner male: Jorgen Salo, La Junta, 1:10.23.
- Overall winner female: Abby Goodrich, Colorado Springs, 1:24.29.
- Male 18 and under: Dennis Ackerman, Rocky Ford, 1:35.40.
- Male 19-29: Craig England, Ordway, 1:14.28.
- Male 30-39: D.C. DiPrince, La Junta, 1:10.42.
- Female 30-39: Michaela Trenidad, Pueblo, 1:26.05.
- Male 40-49: Chester Hadden, III, Pueblo 1:18.20.
- Female 40-49: Jean Hinkle, Fowler, 1:26.14.
- Male 50-59: Mark MacDonnell, Las Animas, 1:50:55.
- Female 50-59: Juanita Peters, Boncarbo, 1:34.36
- Male 60-69: first, David Daniher, La Junta, 1:14.46.
Other 10-mile racers included: Raymond Ackerman (1:14:42), Rachelle Jacquart (1:32:50), Michael Mora (1:35:25), Kathy Tompkins (1:36:27), Joey Gacnik (1:36:54), Kimberly Varner (1:43:22), Michael Taylor (1:43:23), Andrea Cruz (1:48:06), Kristi Mayo (1:54:08), Robert Trujillo (2:06:01), and Kara Copely (2:06:03).
The 5K Splash Dash fun run/walk was a hit. Runners and walkers completing the 3.1 mile course were splashed and sprayed with water at seven points during the run including just before the finish line. The Splash Dash was an untimed event, but several runners raced through the course. Awards for the 5K were for top participation from groups.
Top Corporate Participation Award
The Rattler Run is sponsored by the Otero Junior College Foundation. Additional sponsors included Southeast Health Group, Wallace Oil, Sports World, La Junta Tourism Board, SODEXO, Otero Junior College, Otero Junior College Auxiliary Services, KBLJ, TLC Vet Clinic, Fowler State Bank, Gerry and Karen Oyen and John and Laurie Knapp.
Proceeds from the Rattler Run will be used to provide scholarships to students in the President’s Leadership Program (PLP) at OJC. Thank you to the event sponsors and participants for making this event a success. For more information on the President’s Leadership Program or the OJC Foundation, contact Sue Samaniego at 719-384-6821.