Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the information in student files may only be released under specific conditions. Current or former students of Otero Junior College have complete access to their records and may view them upon request at the Student Services Center. If records contain errors, appeals in writing must be submitted to the Vice President of Student Services.
- FERPA Authorization for Release of Records
- FERPA Annual Notification and CCCS Template
- Print FERPA brochure
The following are considered public information and may appear in college directories, publications and news releases, or be disclosed to anyone inquiring:
- Student Name
- Major Field of Study
- Dates of Attendance
- Degrees and Awards Received
- Most Recent Educational Institution Attended
- Enrollment Status (i.e. full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, less than half-time, withdrawn, graduated or deceased)
- Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
- Height, Weight, and High School Attended (only for students in officially recognized activities and sports)
Students may withhold disclosure of public information by filing a written request with the Student Services Center. All other information in student records is considered private and not open to the public without written student consent. Only the following individuals, because of their official function, have access to this information: Otero Junior College officials; state or federal authorities; officials evaluating application for financial aid; state and local officials requesting reporting data; organizations conducting studies for educational institutions or agencies; accrediting organizations; parent of dependent students(proof of dependency required); and Veterans Administration staff. In case of judicial orders or emergencies in which information is needed to protect student safety, health or welfare or that of others, OJC may also release information without consent.