Law Enforcement Training Academy Application Checklist
Applying to OJC Law Enforcement Training Academy
Steps to Apply
- The online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted before registering in Otero Junior College – including veterans
with financial benefits and sponsored students.
The OJC School Code is 001362.
- Complete application to register as a student at OJC go to http://www.ojc.edu/howtoapply.aspx.
- If you are a Colorado resident and have not exhausted your benefits access the Colorado Opportunity Fund by following the directions at: https://cof.college-assist.org
- If you need on campus housing, see application for details, follow the directions to apply for OJC Housing at https://www.ojc.edu/futurestudents/housingandfood/ojchousingapp.aspx .
Once all of the above have been completed:
- Apply to the Law Enforcement Academy by completing the Academy Application (1,062 Kb pdf). Download and fill out the application, this is a fillable pdf file that can be either mailed to OJC or e-mailed to the academy director.
- Complete a Certified Criminal Background Check as required by POST. Fees apply—$49.50. Information is located on page 14-15 of the Academy Application. Prefer that you use POST Vendor https://uenroll.identogo.com/, Use code 25YH81. Must be submitted prior to the first day of class. When completed YOU MUST send me a scan/photo/email with the receipt from your payment for the prints. **Please ensure that you have nothing in your history that is covered in the Disqualifying Misdemeanors section of the application. This includes any crimes that you received a sentence to diversion, probation or deferment!
- Go to cbirecordscheck.com and purchase a criminal history report($5 or so) and attach it to this report. If there is nothing to report, please provide me the report or screenshot where it says that.
- Get a copy of your Colorado Driver License. Students cannot serve as peace officers
in Colorado until they are 21 years of age. You must be 21 years of age with a valid
state issued driver’s license, to enroll in the Otero Junior College Law Enforcement
Training Academy (OJC-LETA) unless you are hired and sponsored by an agency. Please
enclose a photocopy of your valid state issued 21-year-old driver’s license with the
Note: Out-of-state students can enter the academy with a valid out-of-state driver’s license, but they must possess a Colorado driver’s license no later than the last day of the academy.
- Obtain a copy of your High School Diploma or GED, showing the year of completion
- Contact OJC Testing Coordinator, contact info in application, and complete necessary competency exam. OJC Law Academy requires all students to take a faculty approved competency exam prior to enrollment.
- If you have a college degree or have attended college, an unofficial copy of your college transcript
- A copy of your DD214 if serving or have served in the military. *Required DD214 Member 4 form.
Once steps 1 – 12 are completed:
- Schedule an interview with the Academy staff – Vincent.Fraker@ojc.edu, 719-384-6867.
- Once you have completed your interview with the Academy Staff and it has been determined that you are a good candidate for the Academy, you will be offered a place in one of the classes.
Note: Registration will close once the Academy class is filled or 14 days before the first day of class. Official dates will be provided to LEA applicants at the time of their interview.