Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
The demand for skilled workers in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics is becoming increasingly important because in our 21st century global economy, most jobs will require a basic understanding of math and science. It is important that students explore the options that will open for them when they pursue STEM fields of study. STEM education creates critical thinkers, increases science literacy and enables the next generation of innovators.
Learn More About STEM
- STEM skilled workers can earn 17% more than non-STEM skilled workers. The demand for those skilled workers in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics has become increasingly important in our global economy.
- STEM education creates critical thinkers; it increases science literacy, and enables the next generation of innovators.
- Innovation leads to new products and processes that sustain our economy.
- Encourage and inspire more of our best and brightest students, especially those from underrepresented or disadvantaged groups to study in the STEM fields.
- Increase resources available in STEM classrooms and other campus-wide learning environments.
- Provide student support services in remediation and retention in STEM fields.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local school districts and Colorado institutions of higher learning.
- Improve the content knowledge and professional skills of the STEM faculty.
Careers and Job Outlook for STEM Fields
|Field||Median Yearly Pay*||Median Hourly Pay*||Degree Type||Number of Jobs*||Job Outlook, 2012-22|
|Biological Technicians||$39,750 per year||$19.11 per hour||Entry-Level Education Bachelor’s degree||80,200||10%|
|Agricultural and Food Science Technicians||$34,070 per year||16.38 per hour||Entry-Level Education Associate’s degree||25,900||3%|
|Environmental Science and Protection Technicians||$41,240 per year||$19.83 per hour||Entry-Level Education Associate’s degree||32,800||19%|
|Forensic Science Technicians||$52,840 per year||$25.41 per hour||Entry-Level Education Bachelor’s degree||12,900||6%|
|Biomedical Engineers||$86,960 per year||$41.81 per hour||Entry-Level Education Bachelor’s degree||19,400||27%|