TRiO - Student Support Service
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRiO Program under the U.S. Department of Education. The program is focused toward students who have one or more of the following factors: first-generation, low-income or disabled.
The goal of the program is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
First Generation Student
Two-Thirds of the participants must be first-generation and low-income, or have a documented disability.
First-generation: as defined by the U.S. Department of Education’s TRIO program, is a students whose parents have never earned a bachelor’s degree.
Low Income Student
One-third of the participants can be either first-generation, or low-income, or have a documented disability.
As defined by the U.S. Department of Education’s TRIO program, is an individual whose family’s taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 150% of the poverty level.
Application & Enrollment
- Meet with the Student Support Services Director or Academic Advisor
- Complete a Program Application form that includes information about:
- Ethnic Group
- Marital Status
- Educational Background
- First-generation Verification
- Disability Verification if applicable
- Income Verification
Download TRIO Application (819 Kb PDF)
This is an editable PDF application. Save a copy to your hard drive and fill it out. You can e-mail the completed form to TRiO or print it and bring it into TRiO with the required documentation (see form). You will need to sigh the form and have a TRiO staff member also sign it.
- Complete the OJC Registration and Enrollment process
- Complete the Accuplacer Exam to determine academic readiness.
- Financial Aid Assistance and Resources
- Tutorial Services – Individual, Group, or Drop-In Tutoring
- Workshops and cultural events – skills, budgeting, and museum tours, etc.
- Transfer tours – tours each semester to a four-year institution
- Services provided free of charge to TRiO Student Support Services participants.
Three main objectives of the Student Support Services grant/program:
- Persistence - attendance from one semester to another.
- Good Academic Standing - maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- Graduation/Transfer - graduate and/or transfer to four-year school within four years.