To Apply for benefits visit www.gibill.va.gov and click on Apply for GI Bill® (GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) Benefits. Follow the instructions on the web page for further guidance. Choose from the following forms:
- 1.22-1990 if you have served in the military and are applying for education benefits for the first time.
- 2.22-1995 veterans changing schools
- 3.22-5490 if you are a dependent of a deceased or 100% disabled Veteran (spouse or child) applying for education benefits for the first time.
- 4.22-5495 dependents changing schools
Bring Certificate of Eligibility (sometimes referred to as a Letter of Entitlement) and appropriate documentation (DD214, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate) to the VA Certifying Officer in Student Services. If you have any questions, please contact the VA Certifying Officer at 719-384-6949.
Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018
As part of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679 of title 38, United States Code was amended. Effective August 1, 2019, the State Approving Agency, or the Secretary when acting in the role of the State Approving Agency, shall disapprove a course of education provided by an educational institution that has in effect a policy that is inconsistent with the areas below:
- Policy must permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
Tuition Assistance for Active Duty Military
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members. Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program. VA does not administer TA and rules may vary by branch of service. For more information regarding criteria for eligibility, visit www.militay.com.
Prior to enrollment, Service members must work with their Educational Services Officer (ESO), or Military Service Counselor to receive appropriate approval. Once received, please visit your Military Service's education portal to apply for TA.
Guidelines on Recruitment Related to Department of Defense
Admissions Counselors, as with all Otero employees, adhere to policies, regulations,
and guidelines from the Department of Defense (DoD). Admissions Counselors must be
aware of and follow all rules related to recruitment, marketing, and advertising as
written by the DoD.
Per the DoD Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), paragraph 3.j:
- Otero employees are banned from offering any inducements or other items having a monetary value of more than a de minimis [insignificant amount] to any individual for the purpose of securing enrollments of Service members or obtaining access to Tuition Assistance Funds.
- Educational institution sponsored scholarships or grants and tuition reductions available to military students are permissible.
- Any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance are not allowed to receive commissions, bonuses, or other incentive payment.
- Additionally, Otero must refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more) by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.